You probably already know that taking a sauna can be relaxing and can relieve stress but can you really use a sauna to lose weight?
Sweating and overheating forces your body to work harder, your heart to pump faster and so, this therapeutic activity can indeed be helpful for weight loss. Sauna increases your circulation; makes you sweat and helps you shed salt and water, thereby allowing you to lose extra weight. It also helps boost metabolism so your system will be revved up and you will lose weight more quickly.
You may have heard of athletes using sauna to shed pounds before a sporting event like wrestling, boxing or fitness bodybuilding. The more you sweat, the more you lose. You burn anywhere between 300-500 calories in a 20 to 30 minute sauna session and this equals 5 pounds for many people.
Will this weight loss stick? Well, it is water weight that you are shedding and so, as soon as you rehydrate, some of the pounds will quickly come back. However, if you sauna regularly, weight will surely come off.
How to lose weight with Sauna
- Start by taking a sauna twice a week for 15-20 minutes until you can tolerate a 30 minute sauna. Daily saunas are recommended for ideal detoxification and long term weight loss.
- 150 degrees is the ideal temperature your sauna should be set at.
- Drink lots of water; before, during and especially after sauna.
- Combine a healthy diet, exercise, water hydration and sauna to help you kick start weight loss and to detoxify your body.
- Use sauna after working out to relieve you of pain and to get you ready to work out again soon. Sauna increases recovery time.
Overall, sauna can be just a temporary fix if you only do it a few times. However, if you regularly sauna and make it a routine part of your healthy lifestyle, it can help you achieve the trim and fit body you desire.